Think religious brothers and sisters don't have fun? Think again!
A bonus for good measure!
Today is the feast day of St. André Bessette, C.S.C.! Here are five fun facts about this amazing man of faith and the religious family he came from!
1) He had an particular devotion to St. Joseph. He would encourage people to pray to St. Joseph constantly.
2) André joined the Congregation of the Holy Cross. He was continually sick so his religious order made him a door keeper for the order. His ministry for over 40 years was welcoming people at the door!
3) Because of his own illness and the role he played welcoming those were poor and ill themselves André's ministry of welcoming also became one of healing.
4) The Congregation of the Holy Cross' motto is Ave Crux Spes Unica, which translates to "Hail the Cross, Our only Hope." St. André truly became a living witness of this hope to those whom he served.
5) The Holy Cross order are mostly well educated and sharp men who taught as their charism. St. André, uneducated and ill, was the order's first saint! As one Holy Cross priest told me at Notre Dame it's God's ironic joke for the order to keep them humble!
St. André found holiness in the most ordinary way.
St. André Besette, pray for us!
St. Helen Parish
Grace. Fire. Hospitality. Liturgy. Family. Hope.